Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Snowflake Tea Lights by Abby Henderson



Hey everyone..I am really excited to share my Winter Wishes Tealight tutorial with all of you. Before you know it the holiday season will be here and I wanted to make something that I could use to decorate my home this winter. 






Supplies used:
Pink Paislee Firecracker CS (even though it's 4th of July paper, I liked the color)
Stampendous Frontage Shabby White emboss enamel
Perfect Medium
Tim Holtz Adirondack Alcohol Ink-Stream (used on the clear bling pieces)
Want 2 Scrap Bling
Tim Holtz Distress Ink-Iced Spruce
Craft Smart-White Ink
Luminarte Pearl Gold Shimmer Mist
Martha Stewart Snowflake border & punch all over the page punches
Really Reasonable Ribbon-Silver ribbon-on inside edge of tealights
Vellum
Tealights



I cut 3 pieces of card stock 3" x 8 1/2" and scored each piece every two inches


I knew I wanted a punch border and a decorative punched center for the tea lights so I did this step before assembling the boxes.



I then used this amazing shabby chunky embossing enamel to make the snowflakes pop from the boxes.



Next I used a combination of Iced Spruce and white inks.


Even though I wasn't ready to assemble the boxes at this point. I folded them on the score lines so I could easily ink the edges.


I added some shimmer spray to give them that wintery sparkle...almost like frost.



While the shimmer mist was drying I cut my vellum pieces for the openings on the boxes.


I then attached the vellum pieces using the ever amazing Scor-Tape. Side note..I've purchased "vellum tape" before and it always shows through unlike the Scor-Tape which is amazing for vellum projects!


Once I was ready to assemble the boxes, I put a strip of Scor-Tape on the inside flap.


I added some silver ribbon on the inside edge to complete the look and to hide the pattern on the other side of the paper. I will admit that I forgot to do this step before I assembled them. You can do it the way I am showing you in the photo below but it's much easier to do when the box is still flat.


After they were assembled I felt like something was missing so I used some alcohol ink on some clear pieces of bling. This is a great way to customize & make your own bling pieces to match your project. 


Here they are all lit up with the tea lights inside....


The only tealights I could find in my local stores were yellow but you get the idea of how cool they look with the tealights inside. 

I can't wait to use these this holiday season as part of my home decor. This is a super easy and fun project to make and the different themes and possibilities are just endless. 

9 comments:

Sassy said...

Beautiful, Abby! I would like to order 8 of them!

Tkat said...

oh these look fabulous! thanks for the tutorial :)

Glennis F said...

These look gorgeous

CathyinMN said...

Oh so pretty!

Ava Gavloski said...

love love those tea light bags
ava g

Natalie said...

Beautiful idea!

Ravengirl said...

These are gorgeous Abby!

Shawn said...

Wow wonderful project, so imaginative. They look spectacular!! Great tutorial, easy to follow, well written. Thanks!
Diana

Loly Borda said...

Thanks for sharing this awesome project! I love it, I'll give it a try even though i don't have all the tools.